Until recently, I had been cleaning my hard surface floors one of two ways: 1) with a dry mop and a spray bottle (essentially a more eco-friendly swiffer), or 2) on my hands and knees.
To be fair, those methods are FULLY effective (I still stand by the belief that there is no better way to deep clean floors than on hands and knees, Cinderella-style). But there is a beautiful middle ground that I had yet to explore and that is where the spin mop comes in.
As a mom with a crawling baby and toddler, I feel strongly about maintaining clean floors. I simply don’t want to break my back every day doing so! My beloved spin mop saves me time and energy during my weekly attempts to achieve spotless floors. If you also long for shiny floors with minimal effort, I’m sharing my best tips plus the best spin mops on the market.
Best Spin Mops
- Overall Best: O-Cedar Spin Mop
- Best Looking: BOOMJOY Spin Mop and Bucket Set
- Best Electric: Bissell Spinwave Cordless
- Best Eco-Friendly: VENITIO iMop
Why Spin Mops are Superior to Traditional Mops
A typical spin mop system involves a mop and bucket with spin functionality. The last thing you want to do is overwhelm your floors with a super wet mop. In fact, many hard surface floor materials like wood, laminate, and even vinyl are not meant to get super wet. You can seriously damage your floors this way if you aren’t careful!
That is why the spin functionality is key. After getting the mop head wet with your preferred cleaning solution (I use HOT water plus distilled white vinegar), you will spin out all excess liquid. Always polish your floors with a slightly damp mop head, if it’s dripping then it’s still too wet!
It’s also worth noting that the simple dry mop plus spray bottle method (think of a DIY Swiffer WetJet) is excellent for daily cleaning of concentrated areas like a kitchen. But if you’re tackling an entire home, the spin mop and bucket combo is ideal. You won’t need to replace the mop head / cleaning cloth as frequently. Minimal effort for maximal results.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Spin Mop
Not all spin mops are created equal! The best spin mop will have superior durability/materials, functionality, and overall ease of use.
MOP HEAD MATERIAL
When it comes to the materials used in a spin mop system, the biggest differences lie in the mop head. You will find that most washable mop heads are manufactured using either microfiber or cotton fibers. Here are the pros and cons of each option:
- PRO: Very effective material for picking up dust, dirt, and debris from surfaces (including floors!)
- CON: Not eco-friendly. Microfiber material is made from plastic – a non-renewable and environmentally damaging material. I wrote in more detail about the pros and cons of microfiber in another post if you’re interested.
- PRO: Plastic-free cotton material makes it slightly more eco-friendly.
- CON: Doesn’t “grab” dust as effectively as microfiber is designed to do. Might leave behind less of a polished clean look.
Dirty corners drive me insane. I don’t want to follow up on hands and knees in every corner so I want my mop head design to enable corner access.
MOP AND BUCKET WEIGHT
If you’re mopping a large home then the weight of your mop is going to make a big difference! Save your arms and invest in a lightweight mop. If the bucket is proving too difficult to lug around then save your back and consider a system that has a bucket on wheels.
One thing that can slow you down while mopping is emptying and refilling your bucket after every room. Luckily, some spin mops are designed with a bucket that filters out the dirty water for you. This means you waste less water AND less time.
Your floors are only as clean as your mop and bucket so make sure you invest in a system that’s easy to clean! Buckets that have lots of bells and whistles (e.g. wheels, drainage holes, water filtration, etc.) have their place but be honest with yourself… Will you keep that bucket clean?
Opt for a system that comes with mop heads that are machine washable. You don’t want maintenance of the actual mop to be as hard or harder than the actual job of mopping your floors!
Overall Best Spin Mop: O-Cedar Spin Mop
- HANDS-FREE WRINGING: Our exclusive mop bucket design features a built-in wringer that allows for hands-free wringing while Splash Guard keeps water splash and spray inside the bucket when wringing or...
- MACHINE WASHABLE: The EasyWring Microfiber Mop Head is machine-washable and reusable! We recommend replacing the mop head refill every 3 months for optimal floor cleaning results
- DEEP CLEANING MICROFIBER: O-Cedar's EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop & Bucket Floor Cleaning System uses millions of strands of advanced microfiber to effectively capture dirt and grime with just plain...
This is THE best spin mop on the market. It’s popular for a reason! This mop is affordable, sturdy, and easy to use.
Simply fill the bucket with your preferred cleaning solution (I like to use super hot water and distilled white vinegar). Swish the mop head in the cleaning solution then use the spin function to wring it almost dry. The mop heads have a corner tip so you can clean every nook and cranny in your home.
This system is sturdy – you don’t have to worry about the bucket handle or fragile mop heads breaking. The bucket is easy to clean after each use and the mop heads can be tossed straight into the washing machine. I wash mine in a hot cycle then air dry after each use.
Best Looking Spin Mop: BOOMJOY Spin Mop and Bucket Set
- 【High-quality mop heads】4 Thickened mop heads included, strong water-absorbing ability, the plastic won't scratch the floor.
- 【Enjoy a clean house】 Innovative 360-degree rotating microfiber mop head can be applied to various floors, including laminate, hardwood, tile, vinyl, stone, and concrete, help you easily remove...
- 【More convenient than others】 Patented dewater hole enable you easily drain away water, no need to lift up the heavy bucket when cleaning finished.
If you like the functionality of the O-Cedar mop but don’t love the red and black branding (honestly, same) then consider this white mop and bucket system.
The functionality is similar but the look is completely different. I like a white, bright, clean aesthetic in my home. If you’re like me then you’ll also appreciate a clean, white, bright aesthetic for your housewares. Your household mop is no exception!
This is the mop for you if you appreciate a simple, clean look and feel for your home.
Best Electric Spin Mop: Bissell Spinwave Cordless
- Every Purchase Saves Pets. BISSELL proudly supports the BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets.
- Cordless Freedom. 18V lithium-ion battery provides up to 20 minutes of cordless runtime.
- Powerful Spinning Mop Pads. Restore your floor's natural shine with rotating mop pads that do the work for you.
If you’re primarily motivated to minimize the effort you spend on weekly mopping, then consider this cordless electric mop by Bissell.
The Bissell Spinwave Cordless Mop is popular because of the ease of use! If you love a cordless vacuum (same, same) then you will likely also appreciate a cordless mop. The cordless mop has an attached container you can fill with cleaning solution – no bucket required!
The mop heads spin at the base of this mop, doing most of the work for you as you push it along. Simply use the spray mechanism to release the cleaning solution then push the mop overtop to polish your floors.
Best Eco-Friendly Spin Mop: VENITIO iMop
- 360 Degree Rapid Spin Clean
- PATENTED Internal Bucket Water Filtration
- Adjustable Telescopic Mop Handle with Ultra Absorbent Machine-Washable Microfiber Mop Head
I have yet to discover a completely plastic-free, “eco-friendly” spin mop. If eco-friendliness is your number one priority then I would suggest considering a Cuban mop instead. But if you’re committed to trying a spin mop then consider one with eco-friendly features.
What sets the iMop apart from the rest is their promise of using less water. With the classic mop and bucket systems you have to empty and refill the bucket with clean water multiple times as you’re mopping a house.
The iMop promises to eliminate the need to empty and refill your bucket so you can mop an entire house with significantly less water.