The Problem With Conventional Linen Spray
Linen spray and fabric fresheners (like Febreeze) are filled with toxic chemicals and artificial fragrances. In fact, one study featured on the National Center of Biotechnology Information looked at over 90 fragrances and determined that these artificial scents may mutate cells in the body and may be linked to Autism Spectrum Disorder (source: NCBI).
Luckily, there is a far more natural approach you can take simply by making your own linen spray using essential oils that can actually enhance, not damage your health.
Essential Oil Linen Spray
Natural linen spray is perfect for freshening larger, upholstered items that can’t be easily added to a load of laundry. Think: rugs, carpets, furniture, decorative pillows, toys, etc. Natural linen spray can also be used on pillows before bedtime for light aromatherapy to help with sleep.
A few of my favorite essential oils that you can use to create the ultimate linen spray include:
- Lavender, Chamomile, Clary Sage – all calming, disinfecting, and may promote restful sleep
- Lemon and Sweet Orange are similar to lavender but slightly more invigorating as they cleanse surfaces
- Tea Tree and Eucalyptus purify the air and will leave the space feeling fresh
- Peppermint, Rosemary and Lemongrass are great for repelling insects and relieving allergies
And because some essential oils have the added benefit of anti-microbial properties, they will help eliminate bacteria on your fabrics that can cause bad smells. Go above and beyond your linen spray by diffusing essential oils—they’re a perfect combination.
How To Make A DIY Linen Spray
By now, you know the downside to conventional linen spray. Let’s dive into how you can make your own DIY linen spray.
Linen Spray Ingredients
- 8 ounce spray bottle
- 1 TBSP vodka (or rubbing alcohol)
- Any of the following essential oils:
- Filtered or distilled water
Linen Spray Directions
- Combine the vodka and essential oils in the spray bottle, and swirl around to combine.
- Let sit for 15 minutes for scents to combine. Swirl again.
- Add water until almost full, leaving about ½ inch of space at the top.
- Cap the bottle. Swirl again. Voilà.
Like what you see?
Subscribe and receive a PDF copy of my daily cleaning checklist + weekly tips on how to live a cleaner life!