My first recommendation when shopping for a baby shower is to buy a gift from the recipient’s registry… registries require so much thought and research to put together, give it the respect it deserves! If the registry has been picked over or you’re simply buying a gift for a friend (no shower necessary), then check out the below ideas for some fantastic eco-friendly baby gifts.
Side note: If you’re an expecting mama currently working on your registry, you might find this minimalist baby registry checklist to be helpful!
Eco-Friendly Baby Gift Ideas
Eco Friendly Baby Toys
Toy Subscription – Lovevery Toy Kit Subscription Boxes
- I can speak from experience, we love Lovevery toy kits in our home. My parents gifted these to my son and the toys are not only good quality, they are attractive! As someone who tries to maintain a healthy sense of “adult” in our living room, it feels good to fill our toy corner with items that are as nice to look at as they are playful. Plus, each toy is learning and development focused so the child is always gaining new skills as they play. Can’t say enough good things about Lovevery!
Rattle – Homi Baby Wood Rattle
- Organic Wood Baby Rattle - Each rattle is sanded to a perfection and sealed with a mixture of...
- All Natural Pieces and Colors - All rattles use hard maple and birch to create the smoothest toy for...
- Made in the USA - Each rattle is made here in the USA using ethically harvested hardwoods.
- This rattle is made in the USA using ethically harvested hardwoods. I like that it’s available in an assortment of subtle colors and can double as a teether. It’s also nice and small so it’s easy to pop into a diaper bag for an outing.
- MULTI-SENSORY CLUTCHING BABY TOY: Classic, multi-sensory clutching rattle encourages grasping and...
- BABY WOODEN RATTLE: The Skwish is surprisingly lightweight, allowing little ones the ease of sliding...
- DEVELOPMENTAL TEETHER TOY: The highly-regarded design of wood construction and elastic ties allow...
- When my son was a baby, the only thing he liked to do was put toys in his mouth. I was always a little nervous about painted toys (my son got teeth early on and used them joyfully on his toys), but this one is made from untreated wood so swallowing paint is not a concern.
Blocks – Uncle Goose ABC Blocks
- 28 - 1.75 inch basswood cubes (44 mm)
- Handcrafted from sustainable Michigan basswood
- Printed using non-toxic, mouth safe inks
- Made from wood sourced in Michigan. These blocks are fantastic because they will grow with a little one as they develop motor and language skills. I like that a baby can learn how to stack, while a toddler can learn how to identify the animal pictures, and a child can identify letters and start to spell words.
Stuffed Animals – Under the Nile Organic Cotton Scrappy Dog
- These sweet, stuffed dog animals are made from 100% Egyption cotton recycled scraps. Each dog is unique (and so cute). At less than $15 per pup they are also a very sweet and affordable gift compared to some similar stuffed animals created by other brands.
Books – TUMAMA Soft Cloth Baby Book
- 【BLACK & WHITE DESIGN】Baby born with blurred vision, and only gradually increased by 3 months,...
- 【SIMPLE COGNITIVE PATTERNS】Simples cognitive illustration with letters, numbers, geometry,...
- 【CUSTOM SIZE & RATTLES SOUNDS FOR BABY】Exclusive size for infants to flip books, and enjoy the...
- In my experience, new babies don’t appreciate books unless they’re filled with very simple illustrations in contrasting colors. These soft baby books are high contrast, soft, and easy to clean. I like that they’re made using bamboo fiber fabric. They are also great for popping into a diaper bag or hanging on a stroller.
Floor Play Mat – Nook Lilypad Playmat
- Organic and non-toxic
- Soft cushioned play mat for babies and toddlers
- Easy to carry and machine-washable
- Most baby play mats are relatively thin and unpadded. This play mat is made from non-toxic PETE fill so it’s squishy enough for babies to enjoy on top of hard floor surfaces like wood or tile. I also like that this play mat is easily transportable. We spent a number of weekends visiting in-laws during my son’s first months and designating a soft, safe place for him to roll around was always a bit of a project. Traveling with a play mat like this one would have been helpful!
Eco Friendly Baby Gear
Burp Cloths – Milkbarn Organic Burp Cloths
- Two (2) Burp Cloths, each measuring approximately 23 inches x 23 inches.
- These sweet burp cloths are made from GOTS certified organic cotton yarn. Babies are messy and I found that there was no such thing as having too many burp cloths on hand! We used them ALL the time, so they are sure to be a much appreciated gift.
Drool Bibs – WIPALO Baby Bibs
- Made from 100% organic cotton, these bibs are both practical and adorable. When my son was first born, we went through bibs constantly. I like that these are also thick and absorbent.
Paci Clips – Madeline’s Box Braided Pacifier Clip
- Handmade by mamas in the USA, Quality being our top priority
- Madeline’s Box pacifier clips are universal and will work with any pacifier or teether toy.
- Madeline’s Box pacifier clips are CPSC tested and approved, lead free, BPA free.
- Hand made in the USA, these pacifier clips are cute, washable, and practical! My son didn’t take to a pacifier until he was over 4 months old and we have been clipping one to him ever since. I also think that pacifier clips like these would be easy to DIY – they look like basic, braided stretchy cotton material. For my next babe, I might upcycle old t-shirt fabric and braid it into pacifier clips.
Swaddles – Cotton Organics Muslin Swaddles
- ✔ HYPOALLERGENIC - Prevent delicate newborn skin irritation with an organic muslin swaddle blanket
- ✔ EXTRA SOFT - Organic muslin swaddle blankets are naturally softer and more durable
- ✔ GOTS CERTIFIED COTTON - Each muslin swaddle blanket can be traced back to the batch of GOTS yarn
- These come from GOTS certified yarn. We have a collection of muslin swaddles that we have used heavily since my son was born (he’s now 19 months old). They were great for swaddling him as a newborn, fantastic as an impromptu floor mat for tummy time, and we still use them in the stroller on walks and at bedtime.