The more “stuff” you have, the more “stuff” you have to take care of. That means more time spent dusting, cleaning, maintaining, repairing, taking out, putting away, and organizing. Time you’d most likely rather spend differently.
In this episode I encourage you to evaluate the stuff you keep in your home. This is NOT an episode advocating for minimalism… simply step by step instructions for how to determine when stuff is worth keeping, and when it’s time to let it go.
What Will You Learn?
- Start with a list! Learn how to create a game plan and schedule for tackling a whole house declutter
- Questions to ask yourself as you’re decluttering:
- Is it broken? Give yourself a deadline to repair it… otherwise get rid of it.
- Is it useful?
- Do I have more than one? Do I need more than one?
- Is it beautiful? Does it spark joy? Do I feel good holding/wearing/using it?
- Do I have a place to store or display this item?
- 20/20 rule?
- Common reasons people tend to hold on to “stuff”
- Maybe box
- Memory box
- Know thyself – Creating digital mood boards to keep yourself on track!
- The Paper Solution by Lisa Woodruff
- Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- Small Space Style by Whitney Leigh Morris (@whitneyleighmorris)
- Remodelista The Organized Home Book
- The Home Edit Book and Get Organized with The Home Edit Netflix Series (@thehomeedit)
- The Organized Home: Design Solutions for Clutter-Free Living by Casey Ellis and Randall Koll