What better time is there to learn how to clean white shoes than summertime? After many varied attempts, here are the most effective ways I have found to clean white canvas and leather shoes.
When I first thought about how to clean white shoes, what came to mind were memories of my mom tossing our sneakers into the washing machine, letting them air-dry, and the next day it was as if they were new again. I tried this technique on our white canvas shoes and had minimal success.
After attempting a few home-made cleaning recipes that didn’t deliver, I finally landed on one that worked well for us.
HOW TO CLEAN WHITE CANVAS SHOES
- Mix 1 part liquid laundry detergent with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts baking soda to create a paste
- Use a rough sponge or cleaning toothbrush to scrub the paste all over the exterior of the shoes and shoelaces
- Allow shoes to dry in the sun if possible (2 or more hours – the more longer the better)
- Rinse thoroughly then run in the wash on a cold gentle cycle
- Allow your freshly white shoes and laces to completely air dry again in the sun
Something worth noting: Do not substitute dish soap for liquid detergent! Even remnants of dish soap can cause suds to develop in your washing machine and cause damage. Anytime you see a cleaning recipe online (for how to clean white shoes, remove stains from laundry, etc.) that mixes dish soap and a washing machine I suggest that you steer clear.