If your child loves to help you around the house with daily chores like cleaning, it’s time to get them their own kids cleaning set! I love the parenting mantra, “don’t do things for your kids that they can do for themselves.”
After reading The Montessori Toddler, I went on a personal mission to organize our home in a way where my son can access everything he needs all by himself (you can learn more about our specific setup in my IG Story Highlight). Because messes with a toddler are common, child-sized cleaning tools are both a win for them and a win for you.
With that said, non-functioning kids cleaning tools are not going to keep your child’s interest, nor will they help your child learn how to complete the cleaning task at hand. The “toys” included in this post are all functional cleaning products that are simply child-sized.
Kids Cleaning Sets
Melissa & Doug Cleaning Set
- INSPIRES HOURS OF PRETEND PLAY: We developed the Dust, Sweep, Mop. Pretend Play Set to motivate your...
- REALISTIC WOODEN CLEANING TOYS: This colorful, kid-sized set looks just like the real thing and...
- BUILDS SKILLS AND CONFIDENCE: This skill-building and confidence-boosting set is designed to...
If you’re interested in a one-stop-shop for child sized cleaning tools, this is a great option. This cleaning set by Melissa & Doug is extremely popular because it’s affordable, functional, and not made out of cheap plastic. Included is a standing broom, a hand broom, dust pan, duster, and a mop. If you sweep and mop your house regularly (we have to after every meal with our toddler!), your child will likely be very happy to “help” with this set of simple child-sized cleaning tools.
Child Sized Floor Cleaning Tools
Is your child interested in certain cleaning tasks more than others? My son is VERY interested in helping me sweep and mop the floors since we have to do it so often (did I mention that toddlers are messy?). Below are my recommended child-sized brooms, mops, and vacuums.
- Solid maple hardwood handle.
- Grown and made in the USA.
- Natural broomcorn.
I like this broom because it is well made from sustainable materials. I also like that it has a leather hook so we can hang it on the wall in our kitchen. My son is practicing putting objects back where he found them so having a designated hanging space for his broom is helpful.
One thing to note, this broom is about 36” tall from top to bottom. My son is a tall 18 month old but he still has trouble managing this broom. Until he fully grows into it, he will continue to get more use out of his hand broom.
- PERFECT FOR LITTLE HANDS: Small handle fits easily into children's palms, so the whole family can...
- DURABLE HORSEHAIR BRISTLE: Brush strung with soft yet dense natural hair from the mane and tail of...
- BEAUTIFUL HANDCRAFTED BEECHWOOD: Handle made from all-natural oiled beechwood; highly resistant to...
A hand broom is great for sweeping piles onto a dustpan. It’s also a nice alternative for smaller toddlers who aren’t able to manage a child-sized broom just yet! This hand brush measures less than 9” long, and only 1” wide so it’s great for small hands to manage.
- Heavy gauge, epoxy-coated steel
- Ribbed construction for extra strength
- Hanging feature for convenient storage
I like this dustpan because there is a bit of weight to it (just shy of 1lb). That means my toddler can set it on the floor and brush debris onto the pan without it moving around like a plastic version might.
- 25" solid maple wood handle.
- 100% cotton string mop head.
- Solid construction.
I use a Cuban mop in my kitchen to clean our floors, so I am figuring out how to make a miniature version of one for my toddler. If I used a traditional mop, I would buy him one like this. This is a functional mop so you can get it wet and let your child or toddler help wipe up your floors.
- Brilliant toy replica of the Dyson ball
- Working suction that really picks up small: paper hole punches, fluff, eva beads
- Cyclone action with whizzing coloured balls
- Realistic role play for exploring imagination and developing social skills
- Replica design with iconic colors for visual realism
- Play encourages the development of hand-to-eye co-ordination
My son is OBSESSED with vacuums. We have to say “hi” to our vacuum in the hall closet every time we pass it. My mother-in-law noticed this and gifted him a small dyson of his own. These two options advertise actual suction capabilities (although I would expect minimal power).
- 10 knob hooks to hang necessary items.
- To hang leashes, coats, hats, sweaters, and much more!
- High quality wooden material, ensuring a long-lasting product.
Now that you have a broom, dustpan, and mop for your child, where are you going to store them? We hang our son’s tools with hooks in our kitchen area. Hooks make it easy for him to take them down and put them away when he’s done.
Child Sized Window Cleaning Tools
One of my 18 month old’s favorite cleaning activities is washing windows. At least once a day he grabs his little spray bottle and squeegee and runs over to me so I can help him spray down one of our glass doors. Below are the child-sized window washing tools that he uses and loves.
- VALUE SET OF 2: Receive two 8 oz brown glass bottles with 3-setting sprayers
- AROMATHERAPY FRIENDLY: Amber glass provides UV protection for all your essential oil applications....
- CAPACITY: 8 ounces = 1 cup = 235 milliliters; SIZE: 7.4 inches tall, 2.4 inches diameter; sprayer...
I bought an 8oz glass spray bottle because it’s easier for him to carry than my regular 16oz bottles. His hands are still a bit too small to manage the spray function, but he carts his little spray bottles to me so I can help him wet down our windows. I fill it with non-toxic DIY window cleaning spray so I don’t worry about him using anything dangerous!
- 6-inch all-purpose acrylic squeegee
- Plastic handle with a streak-free rubber blade
- Compact for easy storage and lightweight design for easy maneuver
The squeegee is why my son loves washing windows so much. He likes to practice wiping windows with his squeegee. Coordination is lacking a bit, but the effort is what counts!
- Effective — The E-Cloth Window Cleaning Pack is all you need for sparkling windows. Dampened with...
- Easy — The waffle-weave Window Cloth grabs grime, dust and more from the smoothest surfaces and...
- Environmental — Those blue mystery sprays make us uneasy, too. We prefer using masses of...
After trying his hand at the squeegee, I hand my son a microfiber to wipe down the excess drips.
Child Sized Surface Cleaning Tools
My son loves his kids table and chairs (HIGHLY recommend this modular set – so many uses for it in every room of our house). He eats snacks, works on craft projects, and helps me with easy food prep (scrubbing veggies, mixing, spreading, etc.) all at his little table. After these activities are over there is usually a bit of a mess to clean up on the table surface. Below are the child sized items he uses to help me wipe surfaces down.
Small Wash Towels
- Includes (24) White washcloths
- Made of 100% looped-terry cotton for strength, high absorbency, and fast drying
- Soft enough for use on the face and strong enough for general household cleaning
I cut up a few of our regular wash towels into quarters so they’re easier for my son to manage size-wise. He knows to grab one when he spills his water to wipe it up so he doesn’t slip (which has happened many more times than we’d all like).
Sponges Cut in Half
- 50% of the scrubbing fibers are made from agave plant
- Non-scratch cleaning
- Packaging is made from 100% recycled content
I cut our regular dish sponges in half to better fit his little hands. I’ll get one wet so he can use it to wipe his placemat or table after he finishes an activity.
For more ideas on “practical life” kids toys, I encourage you to read my post on minimalist toddler toys inspired by Montessori learning.