If you ask me for a list of essential home cleaning products, I would absolutely include a broom and dustpan. In our home, our broom replaces our clunky vacuum for 85% of floor cleaning jobs. I have a messy toddler and a messier-than-me husband who loves to cook… so messy floors are inevitable in our home. A quality broom makes keeping up with crumbs manageable!
Below I have compiled a list of the best brooms for every sweeping job (indoors and out!).
- Best Overall Broom: O-Cedar Corn Broom with Wooden Handle
- Best Push Broom: O-Cedar Rough Surface Push Broom
- Best Hand Broom for Indoors: Redecker Horsehair Brush & Stainless Steel Dustpan
- Best Hand Broom for Outdoors: Redecker Whisk Brush
- Best Electric Broom: Bissell Natural Carpet and Floor Sweeper
- Best Dust Mop: O-Cedar Dual Action Microfiber Mop
6 Best Brooms for Every Sweeping Job:
Best Overall Broom: O-Cedar Corn Broom with Wooden Handle
- Made with the highest quality 100% natural Broom corn
- Handcrafted for long-lasting durability
- Reinforced with 5 rows of polytwine stitching
This broom is a great choice for indoors or outdoors. Made with corn bristles and a solid wooden handle, this broom will last you for years. With so many commercial brooms made from plastic, I love that this option is made with natural materials that can eventually compost after the broom has swept it’s last pile.
Bristles are reinforced with 5 rows of twine stitching so you don’t have to worry about broom bristles shedding. The only thing missing from this no frills broom is a hook for hanging! That and a dustpan (this coated steel dustpan is also plastic-free, easy to clean, and long-lasting).
Best Push Broom: O-Cedar Rough Surface Push Broom
- Stiff bristles make this push broom perfect for sweeping rough surfaces
- Features Maxi-Lok technology and anti-rotation socket so broom head never comes loose
- with broom block and bristles made of 80% recycled material
Push brooms are primarily used outdoors in garages, driveways, and sidewalks. The rough bristles on this broom make it an excellent choice for rougher surfaces like concrete. This broom also features an anti-rotation socket so the head never twists or comes loose, even when used for tough sweeping jobs.
With all of that said, one of my favorite parts about this broom is that it is made with 80% recycled materials. If you’re trying your best to make eco-friendly purchasing decisions in your home, this is a nice bonus.
Best Hand Broom for Indoors: Redecker Horsehair Brush & Stainless Steel Dustpan
- HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIAL: Stiff, sturdy horsehair bristles excel at cleaning cobwebs, sweeping dust, and...
- COMPACT STORAGE: Both dust pan and brush include a leather strap for easy storage solutions, simply...
- HORSEHAIR BRISTLE: Brush strung with soft yet dense natural horse hair; great for sweeping up tiny...
When it comes to quality brushes of just about any kind, I completely trust the craftsmanship of Redecker. This hand broom and dustpan is sturdy enough to be used for indoor or outdoor jobs (see below for my top pick for outdoor hand brooms). The handle is crafted from oiled beechwood and the dense, natural horsehair bristles are great for sweeping up small particles like dust and dirt.
If cared for properly, this hand broom set could last you a lifetime – a far cry from the longevity of cheap, plastic alternatives.
Don’t need the dustpan? Here is a link to the Redecker hand brush on its own.
Best Hand Broom for Outdoors: Redecker Whisk Brush
- ALL-NATURAL HAND BROOM: Great for cleaning up driveways, decks and walkways; handy little brooms...
- DURABLE SORGHUM STRAW: Sorghum rice straw does not absorb water and can be used for sweeping wet...
- CURVED DESIGN: Ideal for sweeping car floors and mats; easily reaches corners and tight spaces
I love this hand broom so much for small, outdoor sweeping jobs. We use one to regularly sweep dirt off of our outdoor patio furniture and table. I also use it to sweep loose dirt back into our planters and for other small sweeping jobs around our yard.
This comes in a 2-part set so you can hang the second one in your garage to sweep car mats and rugs. These hand brooms are made from Sorghum rice straw. This type of straw is water resistant making it great for sweeping things like wet leaves or snow.
Best Electric Broom: Bissell Natural Carpet and Floor Sweeper
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its...
- Perfect for quick, quiet cleanups of everyday messes like crumbs, pet hair, cereal, dirt, and more
- Safe and effective multi-surface cleaning on carpets, rugs, and hard floors
I am blurring the lines of what qualifies as “electric” with the winner of this broom category because the Bissell sweeper technically does not require any electricity. With that said, I think it still deserves the top spot in this category. It has a compact, lightweight design featuring a dual rotating brush that picks up all type of debris as you roll it over your floor.
If you aren’t a fan of bending over to use a dust pan, this solves that problem as it is a rotating broom/brush and dustpan in one. It can be used on all types of floors from carpet to tile to hardwood. Lastly, if you have small kids who want to help cleanup in the kitchen and dining room but aren’t coordinated enough to finagle a broom and dustpan, this is a GREAT way to get them to participate.
Best Dust Mop: O-Cedar Dual Action Microfiber Mop
- works great for hardwood floor cleaning, and other surfaces like linoleum, tile and more
For quick dust and dirt pickup from floor surfaces like hardwood, linoleum, or tile, this microfiber mop is a great tool. It can be used either wet or dry and has two sides – one for sweeping, one for shining. It’s also very easy to clean the microfiber pad in the washing machine in between uses (learn more about how to clean microfiber cleaning cloths). If your floors accumulate dust quickly, this is an excellent tool to keep light dust at bay.